Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wicca, The Fashion Statement

Hello!

For what seemed like forever, the only pagan I knew was my self. Which was fine, I didn't mind it. But that all changed a month or so ago.

My friend and I share one class, and that class is gym. We always change in the showers because it is pitch black and nobody goes back there. I was texting when my friend walked in. She had a pentacle drawn on her hand with a teal blue marker. I immiediately told her the difference between the right side up pentacle and the up side down one. She just said whatever an we went to gym.

A week later, my friend walked into gym with a pentacle necklace. Now, keep in mind, at this point in time no one knew I had been practicing, in fact, everyone saw me as the good little church girl. I didn't say anything, but inside I was quite upset. She was wearing my religion like a piece of jewelery. I stewed about that necklace for the rest of the day.

The next day, I started talking to her about how most of my class was Mormon. As we started to talk about religion, she tugged her necklace. I asked her why and she went silent. I asked her again and she said she was "kind of into witchcraft and didn't want me to be all upset". I smiled and said "Wicca."

My friend is definitely new to paganism, but it is nice to have someone to talk to. The part that bothered me, is she had only been researching it for over two months. Isn't that a bit early? I have been practicing for three years and I don't wear a pentacle. I guess I just don't like the idea of my religion to be not much more than a fashion statement. How do you feel about this?

I would like to note also, that I am not Wiccan, more of an eclectic pagan.

Blessed Be,
Auna

2 comments:

  1. Hi Auna.

    I've had similar problems when I was in High School... It started when I offered to start teaching Paganism to a friend of mine. I didn't get much 'teaching' in before I realized this was not a genuine interest, but a "shock value" thing for her. We fought about it and our friendship ended. A few weeks later it was Samhain, and time for costumes. Two girls showed up as green faced hags in conical hats and pentacles the size of hubcaps. I asked them about the Pentacles. They proclaimed that they were 'WICCAS'. "You mean Wiccans?" They proceeded to tell me that the friend that I had taught was "teaching" them.

    Unfortunately you can't always control what others are going to do.

    I agree, it's soon for her to be brandishing a pentacle. Especially if it's a "super awesome Goth Pentacle" from Spencer's.

    I've been teaching others about Paganism and the Wiccan religion for 12 years now and it's hard. All you can do is hope for the best and Learn what you can.

    If you'd like someone to talk to outside of your blog, feel free to hit me up on my blog, and I'll shoot you over my email.

    http://realmofagreenwitch.blogspot.com/

    The co-teacher of the Wicca classes currently being offered also has a blog,
    http://kaerwynskorner.blogspot.com/

    Blessings on your path.
    Amy

    tinyurl.com/amyblackthorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Pagan....my mum is aswell and she's been teaching me since i was around 7 about how to be a good Pagan. Our dog was called Pagan aswell ^_^. Most of my m8s dont know i'm Pagan as i feel like it's a personal matter that isn't something i want to be penalised on. It's to see other teen Pagan's trying to help each other out and raising the issue of others not realising the deeper meaning of Paganism.
    Blessed Be x

    ReplyDelete